January 19, 2014

Book Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Title: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Author: John Green and David Levithan
Genre: YA/Contemporary
Rating: ★★★★★

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both of them legions of faithful fans.

 I would like to initially say that Will Grayson, Will Grayson is more than what I have expected. Favorite John Green book as of now (Maybe because David Levithan co-wrote it), actually. So as you may have noticed by the repetitive title, there are two Will Grayson's in the story. Different people, different attitudes, different lifestyles.

In each chapter, the point of views switch from Will Grayson, who is a perfectly socially-anxious boy (created by John Green) who doesn't like any of the people's attention and a member of the Gay-Straight Alliance, to will grayson (purposely written in lowercase; created by David Levithan), a boy who we would describe as emotional (or emo), deep, dark, secretive, and quiet.

One night in Chicago, in the midst of the most unexpected events, the two Will Grayson's meet. This is where their lives start to intersect. The two learn how to forgive, forget, be strong, appreciate, and be their own person. Through these wondrous series of events, you'll see what people regard as their problem and how they address them. I think it's such a nice idea how shallow the problems in the book are, but they actually are the problems of most people in real life.

I loved how Levithan and Green made you be in the story. Like how you would love all the protagonists (the two Will Grayson's, Tiny, Jane, etc.) and hate all the antagonists (Maura, Maura, Maura -- and no, Maura is not a repetitive character in the story). There's a wide variety of remarkably impossible-yet-could-be-true encounters and aspects in this amazing book. That's what I found entertaining -- it's so impossible, that you actually visualize the scenes and can see it happening in real life, in the most unexpected circumstances. It's a humorous, invigorating, and close to what's happening and could be happening in our society.

I highly recommend this to fans of previous John Green/David Levithan books and see for yourself how you'd react to this. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I certainly found it entertaining enough that it could receive 5 stars.

4 comments:

  1. I've only read a couple of John Green books like Fault in our Stars or Looking for Alaska, but I think this one will be my next read. I haven't read anything by David Levithan but I really want to.

    Anyways, awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read those books as well and I really hadn't enjoyed Looking for Alaska. But I did like TFIOS. You should consider this one! I've heard Every Day by David Levithan's a nice book, so I'm putting it on my reading list. Thanks Val! :)

      Delete
  2. I've read a few John Green books, and a few David Levithan ones, and am a huge fan of both their writing (so together I imagine they will be great). I really need to get around to reading this one!

    Great Review and your blog is absolutely stunning by the way. New follower via GFC and bloglovin' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read anything else by David Levithan but I guess after reading WGWG, I think he's an amazing author. You really should, haha.

      Thank you so much Elle! Followed you back :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


blogger template by lovebird